|Jesper Juul: Half-Real|
If you're at all interested in games, I heartily recommend reading the whole book. But for our purposes the introduction will suffice.
ASSIGNMENT: Read the introduction [PDF] to Juul's book Half-Real to get acquainted with the topic of games and their study. After reading the introduction, write a small piece of personal reflection on your own gaming history. You can concentrate on just one recollection, or create a larger set of reflections.
Here are some (entirely optional) questions you can use to get started:
- Do you have fond memories of a particular game?
- How have your gaming habits changed over the years? What did you play as a child vs. what are you playing now, if anything?
- Are you currently engaged with a game you feel passionately about and if you are, how does it compare to games you've played before?
- Have you played board games?
- Did you ever figure out the rules to Minesweeper or Hearts – the two classic games that have come bundled with the Windows operating system since forever? Or better yet, have you ever played them in any capacity?
Keep your word count somewhere around 500 words (roughly one page), and email your answer to me by 12.11. I accept any common file formats but .doc and .rtf are preferred.